My life in blog form is having it’s first birthday!
A lot has changed in a year. When I started this blog I was at a place where I was unsure about so many things in my life. I am still in a place of not knowing but I am much more comfortable in that. I am ok with being along for the ride in this journey called life. Louis CK, who I think is more insightful every time I hear him talk (I know he is a comedian, but man, he has some great secrets to life) has a really awesome perspective on this:
When I started this blog I had set some goals. These goals were always in the back of my mind but not something I actively worked towards (which explains why I did not actually achieve all of them…). I kept these as sort of a guide in my day to day interactions with myself and with other people. I want to bring these forward again and look at where I am at with them, and then set some new goals.
Erica – February 2013
1. I am trying to be motivated to accomplish tasks
2. I am working at making friendships
3. I want to fuel my body with healthier things – this includes food, socializing, exercising, school, reading, and music. It all affects me and I want it to be positive, growth inducing content.
4. I am trying out a daily yoga challenge. Not an official challenge, just a challenge to myself. Even 5 minutes a day will count. Even if it is just shavasana — meditation is important.
So, number 1 and 2, those went pretty well. Is there room for improvement? You bet. But I am happy with where I am at with those points. Number 3, I have been working on quite steadily. I am now vegetarian (which if you asked me if I would have made that change last year I would have said, no no no, no way. But things change, and here I am). I am still working on the balance aspect of life, which I know will be an ongoing process. Number 4, well I did not do that… at all really. Well, that is not true, I did start doing yoga again and I tried to do a 30 day challenge (especially once I realized this blog birthday was coming up… I felt the need to cram it in last minute so I could achieve all my goals). I think that is one of the reasons why it did not get completed. I stopped doing it for myself and started doing it for the outcome and the blog goal fulfillment. I am going to keep trying to introduce it into my life. I want it to stick because it works, not because I am focused on meeting a goal.
So, new goals… here we go!
Erica – February 2014
1. Maintain the progress I have made so far, embrace the new stuff, and continue to say ‘Fuck It.’ I have things I want to do and things I want to try. I won’t let my fear of inadequacy stop me from giving it a go. Confidence is key. And, as Nike says… you just gotta do it.
2. Play more music. Singing, guitar-ing, ukulele-ing, harmonica-ing, and maybe piano-ing. Just be creative in the musical realm.
3. Face some fears. This is similar to the ‘Fuck It’ mentality, but to me it is a different level. I’ll make a post dedicated to this at some point, but for now, it is enough to think about it at a general level.
4. Yoga. 30 days. I’ll leave it at that.
So here is to another go at this whole blog thing! And a little birthday celebration, courtesy of The Beatles.